The club for runners in Saratoga Springs, NY
The Saratoga Stryders coaches have developed two FREE 5K-10K training plans for those seeking to better their times.
• Remember that the paces you run are based on your current conditioning, not on your fall 2019 paces.
• With two plans: one for 20-30 miles and one for 30-40 miles per week, you should start in the plan that matches your current mileage. If you want to use the 30-40 mile plan, but you're currently only running 20 miles per week, start with the 20-30 mile plan and gradually add some additional miles into you recovery days by running a couple extra miles during your runs or adding additional days with easy recovery runs. Then when you reach the desired mileage, you can change plans. If in doubt about this transition, check with one of the coaches.
• Some of the workouts are challenging and could exceed your current conditioning. Repetition-paced runs should not exceed 2:30 minutes, while Interval-paced runs should not exceed 5:00 minutes. For example, if the plan calls for 4x1200 m at interval pace, but you can only run 1000 meters in 5:00, stop after 5 minutes. Your workout would become 4x1000 m at interval pace (and do not try to make up for the missed distance by doing more).
• Strides with your easy runs are a great way to improve your form and speed; mix them into the middle of your easy runs.
• The coaches will be starting the workouts on Wednesday nights from the RS Taylor Tap Room. These workouts will try to match the workouts in the plan.
• The training plans have workouts on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays, which matches with the Stryders workout schedule. These dates can be moved around to fit your own schedule. For example, the Mix-it-up Sunday crew could do the Saturday long run on Sunday and move the Monday workout to Friday for a workout schedule of Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.
• Easy recovery day runs (in the plans on Tuesdays and Fridays) can easily be moved around to fit your schedule. Any of the non-workout days are acceptable.
• If you would like to run more miles than is stated in the plan, add them into your easy recovery days or run additional easy runs.
• The plans call for 4-6 miles on these recovery days, but feel free to "shake up" the mileage on these days. For example, rather than running two 6- mile recovery runs each week, you could do a 5-miler and a 7-miler, or 3 days at 4 miles.
Copyright Saratoga Stryders, 2020
The Saratoga Stryders, a 501(c)(3) affiliate chapter of the Road Runners Club of America. P.O. Box 1467, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866